The Schneyders

The Schneyders

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blood Test Results

At the end of January I had my blood taken so they could do the Counsyl test. When I first met with the doctor the following week he said that all my blood work had come back and that I was fine and nothing had shown up, so when they told me that the Counsyl test had come back with a positive on one of the diseases as a carrier I was totally shocked. With the Counsyl test they test for 13 diseases and 163 variants. All the diseases must have both people must be carriers for your child to have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the disease and then if both do not carry the same disease the child could just be a carrier in turn. Luckily, I am only a carrier of 1 disease, Spinal Muscular Atrophy. When they told us the whole staff was not sure what it was and had to rely on the paperwork we received from Counsyl. So we decided to have Daniel tested and are waiting for the results.
SMA has a range of types 0-4 the higher the less it affects the person. Daniel and I are being optimistic and aren't looking too much at the symptoms until we know for sure that it is a real chance of our baby having this.

1 comment:

  1. way to be optimistic! we're keeping you guys in our prayers, love you!

    ReplyDelete