The Schneyders

The Schneyders

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mongolian Beef and peach tart


I made Mongolian Beef last night for dinner. It was amazing and tasted delicious. It was super simple too.
This recipe is a serving for 2
2/3 lbs of flank steak(I used a top sirloin because it was the cheapest)
3T cornstarch
3 tsp canola oil divided
1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic minced
1/3 C soy sauce
1/3 C water
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2-3 large scallions ( these are optional they are just a garnish on top)
I bag stir fry mix ( I added this to the recipe because I felt it needed some steamed veggies. I just got a frozen veggie bag that had brocolli, snap peas, green beans, red pepper, onion)
1 can bamboo shoots

Slice steak in thin slices- coat in cornstarch-before cooking shake off excess
I noticed that the meat soaked up the cornstarch and the excess cornstarch
didn't stick to the meat

Mix
soy sauce, water, brown sugar, red pepper flakes

Prepare
your garlic and ginger. Heat both of these in 2 tsp of the oil on med-high heat add ginger and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds-or until fragrant. Add soy sauce mixture. Cook for 2 minutes transfer back to bowl.

Turn up heat on wok, add remaining oil. Add beef stir until just browned. Once beef is cooked add soy sauce mixture and veggies and bamboo shoots. Simmer for 5 minutes until thick. Garnish with scallions

I also made a peach tart, but I don't have a picture. It was very very simple.
2-4 cups sliced peaches
3 T brown sugar
2 T butter melted
1 refrigerated pie crust
Cut up peaches and mix with 3 T brown sugar. Roll out pie crust to rectangle. Pour peaches inside pie crust, fold up the sides of the pie crust to form a barrier around the peaches. I pleated the sides of the pie crust to make sure the barrier was tight. Lightly brush butter on the outside of the crust and on the top of the peaches. Sprinkle brown sugar on the crust before baking. Cook for about 40 mintues at 375.
Then top with ice cream or whipping cream and enjoy!

I hope you all make these recipes and let me know what you think!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. i just bought some flank steak the other day, now i know what to do with the part i but in the freezer! also i'm super disappointed that you used a refrigerated pie crust....sounds tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was quicker though than making my own. And I am glad I could use an ingrediant you already had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good! next time post as you go pictures! I'm a visual person!

    ReplyDelete